Business Intelligence Analyst Decision Support
Hearst Newspapers is looking for an analyst to join our Business Intelligence team. Reporting to the Director of Business Intelligence, this role will support a variety of teams throughout the company, including Editorial, e-Commerce, Marketing and Advertising. This is an ideal job for an analyst who is looking to solve a variety of different business problems and to advance their applied analytics skills. You’ll have the chance to interface with teams across the organization and understand the interplay of various facets of the business.
You will work directly with both technical and non-technical users to translate business questions into data problems that our infrastructure can solve. That work will involve building ad-hoc reports and dashboards, providing data and insights in partner meetings, conducting exploratory analysis, and modeling business initiatives. In performing these activities, you will become a trusted partner of stakeholders throughout the organization.
Working within the larger BI team, you will not only be responding to the requests of the user community, but will be collaborating with other analysts, data scientists and data engineers to continuously improve the availability of data and foster a data guided approach to business decisions.
- Degree in math, engineering, statistics, econometrics, data science or related quantitative field
- 2-3 years experience in an analyst role (analyst, analytics, business intelligence or similar)
- Proficiency with SQL (BigQuery preferred)
- Proficiency with a visualization tool (e.g., PowerBI, Tableau, Qlik, Looker PowerBI, Looker preferred)
- Experience with Python for data analysis required
- Strong verbal and written communication, especially when presenting to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience collaborating with data analysts and data engineers
- Experience with web analytics (Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, or similar)
- Familiarity/experience with the digital media is not required, but is a strong plus
- Familiarity/experience with digital subscription products is not required, but is a strong plus
- We are open to fully remote candidates, but a New York City area candidate who is open to a hybrid (2 days per week) work schedule in our Manhattan office will be considered a plus
- Develop reports and dashboards to support daily business operations.
- Improve decision making by proactively providing data that helps resolve business problems and support strategic decisions.
- Surface trends and conduct root cause analyses to uncover issues and opportunities.
- Serve as the primary data/analytical resource in recurring stakeholder meetings.
- Present reports, findings and analyses to non-technical stakeholders.
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, dashboards and other data solutions.
In accordance with applicable law, Hearst is required to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role if hired in New York City. The reasonable estimate, if hired in New York, is $90,000 -$115000 Please note this information is specific to those hired in New York. If this role is open to candidates outside of New York, the salary range would be aligned to that specific location. A final decision on the successful candidate s starting salary will be based on a number of permissible, non-discriminatory factors, including but not limited to skills and experience, training, certifications, and education.
With 2,500 employees across the nation, HNP represents a network of 24 daily and 52 weekly publications, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union, marketing services businesses, and entertainment businesses such as King Features Syndicate.
At HNP, we are investing in new and innovative ways to tell stories growing newsrooms, diversifying tools, evolving platforms to support the millions of people who trust us each month to help them make decisions, take action and be inspired.
Be a part of something bigger Your Headline Awaits.