University of Southern California
USC Human Resources is currently searching for exceptional team members to help us fulfill our mission: Developing individuals and society as a whole through the cultivation and enrichment of the human mind and spirit.
USC Human Resources is evolving to a newly imagined, world-class HR function through a high-impact service delivery model, that will elevate the employee experience through the enhancement of HR services. We aim to instill efficiencies through re-designed processes and policies, innovative tools and industry-leading systems.
The University of Southern California (USC) is one of the world’s leading private research universities. A global center for arts, technology, and international business, USC is also the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles.
This role enables the high priority, strategic projects in critical areas which support our multi-year ongoing transformational work.
The Employee Relations Specialist will support the employee and labor relations team by being primarily responsible for managing and responding to workplace concerns through review, documentation and fact-finding. This role will use data to identify trends in employee relations topics across the university and make recommendations for ways to proactively and preventatively address employees’ concerns. Acting with a high degree of integrity, the Employee Relations Specialist will ensure that all cases assigned to the employee and labor relations team are documented and acted upon in a timely and thorough manner. In addition, the Employee Relations Specialist will partner with managers and leaders across the university, as well as other HR functions, to create programs and initiatives that support positive relations among staff, faculty, and the organization. This role will execute USC’s vision while championing USC’s culture and values.
The candidate for the position of Employee Relations Specialist must meet the following qualifications:
* Bachelor’s degree in business, psychology, communications, employment law, industrial relations, or another related field or combined experience/education as a substitute for minimum education.
* Five or more years of experience in one or more of the following fields: human resources, behavioral or social science, or organizational psychology.
* Experience in areas of employment law and/or employee relations.
* Sound judgment, high integrity, and the ability to handle complex, highly sensitive and confidential information relating to HR.
* Experience conducting fact-finding and tracking/reporting employee relations grievances using a case management system.
* Knowledge of current major employment laws such as ADA, FMLA, etc.
* Experience establishing collaborative initiatives with multiple departments.
* Demonstrated excellence providing high level customer service.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, work independently and maintain confidentiality of all clients and information.
* Excellent communication and facilitation skills, proven track record of building strong collaborative relationships with stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
* Experience utilizing a case management system (e.g., i-Sight)
The ideal candidate for the position of Employee Relations Specialist has the following qualifications:
* Advanced degree in human resources, psychology, communications, law, industrial relations or another related field, or Juris Doctorate (JD) degree.
* Seven or more years of experience in one or more of the following fields: human resources, behavioral or social science, or organizational psychology.
* Experience in higher education and/or employment law.
* Knowledge of best practice procedures used to investigate and resolve employee or workplace concerns including best practices as they relate to reducing bias during the investigation process.
* Knowledge of leading thinking and best practices around the management of employee performance with a focus on employee relations and corrective action.
* Experience ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
* Ability to analyze data to look for trends and patterns.
* Ability to identify knowledge, skill and resource gaps and to recommend related solutions utilizing industry trends.
* Track record of positive influence of department culture during change through trust-building and inclusion.
* Ability to train and educate staff on existing/new policies, practices and laws, emerging industry trends and ensure quality baseline of department knowledge.
* SHRM Certification
The candidate for the position of Employee Relations Specialist will be responsible for:
* Documenting and managing employee relations or workplace concerns in a case management system and initiating the fact-finding process. Conducting fact-finding in a deliberate, thorough, and timely manner to determine appropriate resolution or if further investigation is needed on any given case. Promptly communicating fact-finding results and recommended corrective actions to Manager, Employee Relations. Maintaining accurate and up to date records and documentation in case management system at all time. Responsible for ensuring each employee relations or workplace concerns are documented and addressed regardless of the intake method. Escalating employee concerns or grievances as necessary. Engaging with employees regarding reasonable accommodation requests, including interviewing employees, collecting appropriate documentation, and evaluating requests.
* Providing strategic support, thought partnership, and coaching to all levels of the organization to ensure the management of employee performance with a focus on employee relations is top of mind for all managers and unit/school leaders. Staying attuned to organizational and operational changes across the university to identify potential risks and develop plans to address proactively.
* Serving as point of contact and providing support, guidance and direction to management and other university employees on the management of employee performance with a focus on performance improvement and corrective action matters. Assisting with the development and delivery of appropriate feedback or corrective/disciplinary actions across the university. Providing rigorous data analysis and reporting solutions based on university and unit/school needs, highlighting key trends in employee relations to actively drive proactive solutions to improve employee engagement, reduce risk, and minimize reactive work. Helping develop target initiatives to address specific employee relations issues related to that unit/school.
* Partnering closely with HR Partners and the Performance Management team to identify trends in performance issues and action plan to address. Helping facilitate educational workshops and trainings for managers and broader university audiences on topics related to employee relations. Ensuring open and consistent communication with all other functional HR areas to drive alignment and accountability. Partnering with Office of General Counsel as needed. Preparing written responses to requests for information as needed.
* Conducting routine data analysis and reporting to identify and escalate key trends in employee relations issues to ensure root-cause analyses are taking place and to enable and drive proactive solutions. Designing, creating, and implementing proactive programs, policies and procedures that improve employee relations and contribute to a positive and productive working environment. Maintaining accurate, confidential records regarding all reported cases and fact-finding documentation.
* Interpreting and applying understanding of university policies and practices, employment law, and other regulations to provide advice, guidance, or clarification for ER inquiries. Maintaining pulse on employment legal trends and new legislation. Identifying and recommending appropriate process or technology improvements to ensure effective and efficient fact-finding, resolution and communication.
* Helping assess current employee relations policies and procedures for potential bias and determine action plan to address. Maintaining the highest level of integrity when managing employee relations issues and managing reported cases. Promoting an environment that fosters inclusive relationships and creates unbiased opportunities for contributions through ideas, words, and actions that uphold principles of the USC Code of Ethics. Ensuring that legal and regulatory requirements are met in terms of employee relations to minimize exposure to liability for the organization.
* Supporting strategic organizational changes across the university by supporting leaders and managers through the nuances of employee relations-related issues. Demonstrating, through words, actions, and ideas, alignment to USC’s strategic plan and the HR organization’s strategic Plan.
* Performing other related responsibilities as requested and when necessary. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The annual base salary range for this position is $101,262.02 – $114,000.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
5 years in human resources, higher education, organizational psychology, business, finance, behavioral or social science, or other related fields.
3 years in employment law and/or employee and labor relations.
Experience conducting fact-finding and tracking/reporting employee and/or labor relations grievances using a case management system (e.g., i-Sight). Sound judgment, high integrity, and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of current major employment laws (e.g., ADA, FMLA).
Experience establishing collaborative initiatives with multiple departments.
Demonstrated experience providing high-level customer service.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to handle complex, highly sensitive and confidential information.
Excellent facilitation skills, with a proven track record of building strong collaborative relationships with stakeholders at all levels of an organization. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks and work independently.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) ###-####, or by email at …@usc.edu. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC’s Clery Act Annual Security Report
Notice on Non-Discrimination
Certain positions are subject to background screening
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination
USC is an E-Verify Employer
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser:
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.jobs2careers.com/click.php?jid=65ef4cadb4cda3ec85591f005&ri=98b735d58c4348f0941d3aeee68141cf&job_loc=Los+Angeles%2CCA&q&spl=647271676f4167595052474e4a78714b3a524c52374c69756d6c4e6f584939373359376e624d773d3d3a335a32457747743662636c2f43413365486e46724a70746c3152314b39736437784a4b676474304e6d38522f3950486858786e6f425052524250664d77544f6354347a4e764a394f71376c4d7044505842774333635330597730564c46452f3638386e4f5a474379764c754b397963307249355277736a2b4558534f7477753276504e4256513d3d&encrypt=0&l=United+States→