Vice President, Government and StrategyMxDDo you want to be a part of something innovative, relevant, and intellectually stimulating that has a meaningful impact. Come join our rapidly growing team at MxD, as we strive to advance digital technologies in manufacturing, secure Americas supply chains, and create an empowered workforce. + About MxDMxD (Manufacturing x Digital) is non-profit, public-private partnership, where innovative manufacturers go to forge their futures. In partnership with the Department of Defense, MxD equips U.
S. factories with the digital tools, cybersecurity, and workforce expertise needed to begin building every part better than the last. As a result, our nearly 300 partners increase their productivity, win more business, and strengthen U. S.
manufacturing global competitiveness. MxD is passionate about its people and committed to creating an environment where everyone is heard and respected. Flexible work arrangements and unlimited paid time-off programs are just a few of the exceptional benefits MxD provides its employees. MxD embodies a strong startup culture with its fast-paced and dynamic working environment fostering curiosity and innovation.
Diversity is also key and integral to the culture, as different backgrounds, thoughts, and ideas are critical to the success of members and staff alike. + Position OverviewAt its core, MxDs impact is driven by its government, industry, and academic partners’ unique strengths, expertise, resources, and commitment. MxD is looking for an experienced, passionate leader to serve as the Vice President of Government and Strategy and lead its government and strategic efforts. This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and serves on the MxD senior leadership team.
The Vice President of Government and Strategy is responsible for developing and cultivating federal, state, and local government relationships, government partnership opportunities, and funding pathways. This role also leads the development of MxDs corporate strategy in partnership with the CEO and other senior leaders. The Vice President oversees the Government Business Development, Government Engagement, Strategy, and Grant Management departments focused on establishing new and managing existing relationships with our Department of Defense and other government partners to further MxDs mission. The Vice President oversees the development and execution of an external strategy to secure funding via grants, proposals, and partnership opportunities in support of MxDs programs and projects.
The role also leads the development and management of key stakeholder relationships within the government, including with the executive branch, the U. S. Congress, state and local elected officials. The Vice President also oversees the Corporate Strategy department, which develops and supports the execution of the companys strategy aligned with the companys vision and mission.
The Vice President partners with the CEO and other senior leaders to develop the long-term strategic plan to guide the organizations deep and growing impact in secure digital manufacturing, workforce development, and supply chain management. The department monitors the execution of the strategic plan to provide oversight and ensure execution across the company is on track. As the strategic plan is a living document, the department will review and communicate to senior leadership changes in the government and market landscape and make recommendations for how to adjust the strategic plan to adapt to these changes. The ideal candidate is a dynamic leader, experienced people leader and relationship manager, and seasoned team player with a strong working knowledge of the creation and execution of corporate strategy, development and management of stakeholder relationships, including in federal and state government, and business development within federal, state, or local government environments.
+ Key Responsibilities* Lead Government and Strategy, which includes four departments: Corporate Strategy, Government Business Development, Grant Management, and Government Engagement* Oversee the development and execution of MxDs overall corporate strategy in partnership with senior leadership and other department leaders* Lead development and execution of proactive strategy to build and cultivate stakeholder relationships within federal, state, and local government aligned with MxDs vision and mission, and directly lead relationships with key stakeholders at executive and decision-making levels* Develop and execute strategies to identify and secure funding opportunities aligned with MxDs strategic plan, focus areas, and capabilities; pursue funding opportunities directly and in partnership with other relevant MxD departments* Manage and support staff to develop and execute strategies that meet the departments key performance metrics and identified outcomes* Serve on the MxD senior leadership team, collaborating to support organization-wide priorities* Oversee the strategy, relationship, and contracting of MxDs external government relations consultant* Educate and inform government stakeholders on MxDs mission, priorities, and impact* Communicate, in partnership with the CEO, the corporate strategy to internal and external stakeholders* Oversee industry, market, competitor, and financial analysis to benchmark MxDs performance against key corporate metrics compared to peers* Ad hoc duties as assigned by the CEO+ Position Requirements* 15+ years of professional history that combines experience in at least some of the following areas: leading senior teams, government engagement, public-private initiatives, strategic planning, or business development at a successful enterprise* Bachelors degree required; major in marketing or business operations highly encouraged. MBA or other relevant Masters degree preferred.
* Expert relationship manager with a strong executive presence; the ability to interact effectively at the highest level of an organization and the savvy to communicate and synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly, and convincingly* Demonstrated ability to develop and support senior (director-level) teams and create a high-performance environment. Experience leading teams through significant organizational growth is preferred.
* Proven track record of results through a demonstrated ability to develop mid- to long-term strategies and lead the team through their implementation* Proven experience developing programs that drive awareness of services or product offerings (ideally similar to MxDs) for past organizations targeting prospective and existing stakeholders* Hands-on leader with significant drive, initiative, and experience excelling in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment* Extremely detail-oriented and a proven ability to provide insightful analysis; curious by nature with a high intellectual capacity* Strong research acumen with an understanding of emerging issues and technologies, key public and private players, and their intersection with the work and mission of helping manufacturers forge their futures through digital and cybersecurity capabilities* Experience with leading customer relationship management software programs (HubSpot preferred)* Available to work onsite on an as-needed basis to support MxD personnel and other onsite events* This position requires ~25% travelHow to ApplyApply online at mxdusa. org/careers by clicking on the link to the position posting and submitting your resume with a cover letter explaining why you would be a great fit for this role and MxD. Tip: Meeting the qualifications is important, but a great cover letter will set you apart. Work with Us* MxD is a results-oriented, lean, collaborative tech organization and 501(c)(3) non-profit.
We are hard-working, mission-driven, flexible, and work with a sense of urgency. We hire tech-savvy, committed, self-starters who can think outside the box, and have a strong capacity to learn and adapt to the needs of the organization and role, through both skill and grit. All-star employees excel without the help of administrative support, and dont mind rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty (figuratively. ).
Additionally, people who love to solve problems, no matter how big or small, find they are a good fit for MxD.
* Our state-of-the-art facility, located on Goose Island in Chicago (just north of downtown), features a manufacturing floor, several infrastructure testbeds, and a bustling open-office environment. MxD is a collaborative space, hosting many events for our partners and other prestigious organizations, so being able to engage with staff and visitors in a professional, helpful manner is a must.
* MxD is a 10-minute walk from the North and Clybourn Red Line stop, a 20-minute walk from the Division Blue Line stop, and accessible by a variety of other public transit options; additionally, we have free parking available for employees.
Flexible Work Policy* MxD recognizes the importance of providing flexibility for employees to balance work responsibilities with personal obligations and commitments. Specific feasibility of Flexible Work Arrangements is determined by specific roles and supervisors. Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity* MxD is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse environment in our workplace, our communities, and within the tech industry. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, disability status, economic circumstance, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
* Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. We are unable to sponsor H1B visas currently.