Mount Sinai Health System
Patient Service Representative – M82, Hicksville, Long Island – OFFS
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Patient Service Representative
The Offsite Patient Service Representative provides front line contact as a patient liaison within the access center, check-in/check-out, appointment scheduler, triage, prior authorizations and referrals and neighborhood administrative and physician support. The Patient Service Representative, possesses a commitment to excellence in the development of knowledge, skills, and quality patient-focused service
Roles & Responsibilities:
* Provides front line contact for the department/neighborhood by answering telephones, directing and responding to callers, relaying messages to appropriate recipients and greeting patients and visitors with the highest level of customer service
* Provides clerical and administrative support to physicians and is a liaison between departments.
* Helps direct patients to appropriate setting and facilitates patient flow.
* May schedule appointments for a multi-specialty group, and have a working knowledge of providers, understanding systems, processes, and services rendered.
* Ensures patients are prepared for their appointment by informing the caller of items to bring to their appointment and of the appropriate practice policies.
* Possesses an understanding of when to escalate calls to a supervisor.
* Answers the telephone promptly and in a polite and professional manner to meet Mount Sinai Hospital and Mount Sinai Doctors Long Island customer service standard of excellence.
* May check patients in or out, collect co-pays, scan insurance cards and ensure other required documents are reviewed and signed.
* May schedule radiology testing/procedures in EIDX, EPIC and RIS according to department guidelines.
* May schedule and confirm testing, surgeries and procedures according to department guidelines.
* Ensures all documents are appropriately documented and maintained in the electronic medical record; scanning op reports, test results, home care and any other forms.
* May schedule and maintain calendar for meetings and/or appointments.
* May instruct patients and assist them in navigating MyChart.
* May acquire insurance pre-authorization/referrals from managed care plans for all required services, admissions, procedures, diagnostic tests and medications.
* Notifies Administrator, Director of Revenue Cycle, Practice Manager or Supervisor of any particular insurance issues or updates.
* May provide coverage for other staff as assigned during PTO or leaves of absence.
* May enter telephone encounters into the electronic medical record (EMR) system through the use of the appropriate Epic Smart Text.
* May enter auto faxes received from Pharmacies for medication requests via telephone encounters into the electronic medical record (EMR) system through the use of the appropriate Epic Smart Text.
* May open, sort and prioritize mail. Coordinates pickup and delivery of packages, orders and other materials as required.
* Demonstrates the ability to meet quality assurance requirements and other qualitative / quantitative key performance metrics.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
HS/GED required; some college preferred
0-2 years’ experience in a physician practice or hospital setting providing administrative support functions, with comfort level in patient interaction and having an understanding of maintaining patient confidentiality.
MS Office Suite: Intermediate
Other: Epic and IDX or other EHR
General Skills and Competencies
* Able to work independently
* Must have excellent customer service skills
* Able to work well with patients, visitors, physicians and colleagues
* Must have excellent verbal communication & listening skills
* Knowledge of managed care plan requirements
* Ability to organize and prioritize and work with a team
* High level of accountability and responsibility
* Able to maintain confidentiality and deal with sensitive information
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
The Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) provides a salary range to comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $35,265.42 – $72,368.99 Hourly. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.