American Public University System
Staff AccountantAmerican Public Education, Inc.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for providing management with financial information by researching and analyzing accounts. This includes the timely completion of working papers and reports associated with the Month-End/Quarter-End/Year-End close process for all business units.
- Maintains and balances accounts by inputting data, scheduling required jobs and verifying outputs.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare general ledger entries including, but not limited to accounts receivable, revenue, and deferred revenue
- Maintains records and files and complete assigned work papers.
- Completes reconciliations of cash and operating activities.
- Analyzes open balances and allowance for doubtful accounts.
- Ensures expenses are accounted for in the proper period, assigns applicable account numbers and reconciles accounts.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Identifies and records fixed asset additions, analyzes assets for disposals and impairments, and produces reports as requested.
- Provides management with monthly and quarterly analytics and variance analysis.
- Identifies opportunities for process improvement and presents recommendations for implementation.
- Participates in audits to include Sarbanes-Oxley, quarterly reviews and annual audits conducted by internal and external auditors.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Interacts with other teams to achieve daily goals.
- Stays abreast of all policies & procedures as well as industry changes, best practices, and technology.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and understanding of the application of the rules of GAAP and SOX requirements.
- Strong error detection, problem solving, decision making and analytical skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong organization, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Demonstrated customer service oriented attitude and the ability to collaborate with others.
- High level attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize demands and meet deadlines.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field is required.
- Corporate accounting / General ledger experience is required.
- Public company experience is preferred.
- Experience with Great Plains and Management Reporter or similar accounting software is preferred.
- Proficient with windows based applications to include Microsoft Office with intermediate to expert Excel skills.
Online, on campus and in the workplace, we provide higher education and training to our country’s heroes – military service members, veterans, nurses, government employees, and motivated professionals that want to make a difference. American Public Education, Inc. educates service-minded students, ranging from the military, public service, federal agencies, and nursing communities, through American Public University System (APUS), Hondros College of Nursing (HCON), Rasmussen University and Graduate School USA (GSUSA).
It is the policy of American Public Education, Inc. (APEI) to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons.We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public Education, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Colorado, California, Washington and NYC Pay Transparency Statement
If you are a resident of Colorado, California, Washington or New York City and this role is available remotely, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request.Please send an email to …@apei.com